SUBSCRIBE & LISTEN:
Marrus is a New Orleans painter who’s been turning the fantastical pictures in her head into a roof over it since 1992. We discuss the journey that’s taken her from comic book artist to painting faces at Renaissance faires and beyond. We talk about the importance of being genuine, sharing sacred knowledge, attracting your tribe, and getting uncomfortable as an artist.
Find Marrus online:
- website - marrusart.com
- Patreon - Marrus
- Facebook - Miz Marrus
- newsletter - get notified of new paintings
- her book - Lightsurfing: Living Life in the Front of My Mouth
Other artists and resources mentioned in this episode:
- We referenced Episode 016 with Taylor Lee.
- Marrus sells her artwork at a variety of unique events like Dragon Con and Frolicon.
- Daniel and Pacita of Tea & Absinthe carry Marrus’ work to other shows when she’s not able to travel there herself.
- When asked to pick a fellow creative that we should know, Marrus talked about Allen Williams. Find his work on Patreon, Instagram, or Facebook.
- The Creative Education Foundation - a nonprofit that sparks personal and professional transformation by empowering people with the skill set, tool set, and mind set of deliberate creativity. Join me in supporting their work and make a donation to my fundraiser page for CEF. To sweeten the deal, I'm offering some Kickstarter-style incentives to donate, including shout-outs on a future podcast episode, guaranteed Instagram features, and discounted 1-hour consultations with me! Learn more and donate.
- THANKS to Chrystina Cappello for donating to CEF!
Special thanks to:
This episode is brought to you by:
DIY SEO for E-Commerce - learn the basics of optimizing your online shop to get more traffic from Google and other search engines!
*Note: some product links mentioned above may be affiliate links, which means if you click and buy the product, I make a small commission. It doesn't cost you anything extra, and I only recommend these products because they are the ones I have used. When you click and purchase, it helps support me making more episodes of this free podcast.
Sign up for the free #BadassCreatives e-mail club!
- Follow your host, Mallory Whitfield, on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, or LinkedIn.