SUBSCRIBE & LISTEN:
Dynamo is a sexual health and wellness focused romantic boutique based in New Orleans.
On this episode, I chat with co-owners Hope Kodman Von Starnes and Nico Darling about business partnerships and the hurdles they overcame to open up a brick and mortar retail boutique, including using crowdfunding via IndieGoGo to fund the renovation of their building.
Find Dynamo online and in New Orleans:
- retail storefront - 2001 St. Claude Ave, New Orleans
- website - DynamoToys.com
- Instagram - @dynamonola
- Facebook - @dynamotoys
- Pinterest - @dynamotoys
Other resources mentioned in this episode:
- The Toolshed - the shop in Milwaulkee where Nico started working in this industry.
- Babeland, Good Vibrations and Early To Bed - similarly minded sex-positive shops around the U.S.
- Lelia Gowland - an incredible mutual friend of Mallory’s who in addition to being a speaker, author and consultant on women’s financial empowerment, co-owns 12 Mile Limit, which hosts Dynamo’s Adult Sex Ed workshops
- Dynamo frequently did pop-up tables at Bella Blue’s Dirty Dime burlesque shows and Esoterotica, both at the AllWays Lounge
- Hellbent Leather & Vamp Silicone - contributed perks for Dynamo's IndieGoGo backers
- Other local artists that consign with Dynamo include:
- Kinky Salon - education & performance based community with chapters around the world. In their own words, “Creativity is the focus of the events, and sex is just one way to express yourself at a Kinky Salon.”
- Her Money with Jean Chatsky - financial planning podcast Hope listens to
- Stuff You Should Know and My Favorite Murder - Hope's other favorite podcasts
- Profit Power Pursuit - one of Mallory’s favorite business podcasts - hosted by Tara Gentile and produced by Creative Live
This episode is brought to you by:
Badass Creatives Marketing Accelerator - join Mallory in New Orleans June 1-3, 2018 and get your online marketing efforts off the ground!
The Power of Pinterest - this 50-minute class on Skillshare offers an overview of how Pinterest can be used to drive massive traffic to your website, blog, or online shop.
*Note: some product links mentioned above may be affiliate links, which means if you click and buy the product, I make a small commission. It doesn't cost you anything extra, and I only recommend these products because they are the ones I have used. When you click and purchase, it helps support me making more episodes of this free podcast.
Special thanks to:
Sign up for the free #BadassCreatives e-mail club!
- Follow your host, Mallory Whitfield, on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, or LinkedIn.