SUBSCRIBE & LISTEN:
I've been on both sides of the fence, as a blogger, handmade shop owner, craft show vendor, and digital marketing specialist.
I ran my own e-commerce shop, where I sold my own handmade work alongside that of other artists, and I also sold these products at many craft shows, art markets and festivals over the years. Most recently, I've worked full-time in digital marketing, where I have worked with businesses of all shapes and sizes to get the word out via social media and their websites.
In this episode, I share the top 5 marketing mistakes that I see artists & creatives make that prevent them from selling more of their handmade products online.
Links and resources mentioned:
- Check out the original video series and blog post this episode is based on
- Join the weekly Badass Creatives email list
- Fascinate, Revised and Updated: How to Make Your Brand Impossible to Resist by Sally Hogshead
- Canva - graphic design tool that I use to create graphics for this podcast
- Rule of Thirds - basic photography rule that will help you create better photos
- Build your own DIY light box for product photography
- "Digital Sharecropping" - building your entire online business on someone else's property
- Austin Kleon - author of Steal Like an Artist who sends out a great weekly newsletter
- DIY SEO for E-commerce - my online workshop to teach you the basics of search engine optimization
- Backlinko and Moz - helpful resources for learning more about SEO
- The adorable stuffed bird pillow and necklace pictured on this page were handmade by Janae Easton of Platypusfile, one of the incredibly talented artists I worked with when I ran my e-commerce site.
Special thanks to:
This episode is brought to you by:
DIY SEO for E-Commerce - learn the basics of optimizing your online shop to get more traffic from Google and other search engines!
VenturePOP Conference - I'll be speaking about The Power of Pinterest at this conference for creative entrepreneurs in New Orleans, September 30th and October 1st, 2017.
*Note: some product links in the resources section above are affiliate links, which means if you click and buy the product, I make a small commission. It doesn't cost you anything extra, and I only recommend these products because they are the ones I have used. When you click and purchase, it helps support me making more episodes of this free podcast.
Sign up for the free #BadassCreatives e-mail club!
- Follow your host, Mallory Whitfield, on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, or LinkedIn.