Subscribe & Listen:
In this very first episode of the Badass Creatives podcast, I take it back to the beginning of my own creative journey, sharing the lessons I learned from my experiences and why it’s so important to “Be your own niche.”
I share how I got started selling my own handmade work at craft shows and art markets around New Orleans, and how I made a name for myself nationally by winning third place in Etsy’s Upcycling Contest in 2007. I talk about my experiences launching my popular blog MissMalaprop.com, organizing events with the New Orleans Craft Mafia, and transitioning to a day job in digital marketing once I realized that my old dream of owning a retail store was no longer the right fit.
Learn how my experience of returning to the performing arts via the New Orleans Drag Workshop coincided with the sudden loss of a close friend and why that inspired me to “Make art, every damn day.”
Links and resources mentioned:
- PRWeb - press release distribution service
- America's SBDC - no-cost business consulting and low-cost business training
- How to Make Money at Craft Shows - the book I wrote based on everything I learned from selling at craft shows and art markets
- New Orleans Drag Workshop
- Veronica Russell - the ultimate Badass Creative, who passed away too soon
- Noisician Coalition
Special thanks to:
This episode is brought to you by:
DIY SEO for E-Commerce - learn the basics of optimizing your online shop to get more traffic from Google and other search engines!
Sign up for the free #BadassCreatives e-mail club!
- Follow your host, Mallory Whitfield, on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, or LinkedIn.